story by Doug Smith
Summer is almost here and you know what that means…It’s time to fire up the grill and plan some fun! Each summer, my daughter plays as the “party planner” and has all of her friends over to swim in our backyard. It’s funny how it starts off, “Hey dad, can I invite two or three friends over?” That will grow to a number of seven or eight or even more. And then you know what the next question will be: “Hey dad, do you think maybe you could cook us something?” Even though they’re almost grown, I know what will take this group of friends back to their childhood – grilled pineapple. It works every time! It’s so easy, and it’s so good. It is quite honestly one of the easiest summer snacks I know how to make and is a great crowd pleaser.
The ingredients are minimal and the time to make it is short. Without fail, if I offer to make grilled pineapple, the masses rejoice and that grilled pineapple will be devoured.
It also makes for a tasty side dish to a summer lunch. Hotdogs or hamburgers go great with grilled pineapple and will add some spark to any party or gathering you throw.
As a dad, you’re always looking for ways to make memories with your kids. I’m not sure if the grilled pineapple will make the top 10 for our family but the time cooking together sure will.
Grilled Pineapple Ingredients:
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Cut pineapple into spears.
- Mix brown sugar and spices together. Use a large freezer bag.
- Add the pineapple spears and shake to coat. Set aside.
- Grill the pineapple on medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes turning after about 5 minutes. What you’re looking for is a golden brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle with fresh walnuts and serve it with vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat!
Story provided by Doug Smith. Following him on Facebook and Instagram at “Doug the Food Guy”.